July 18, 2011

Chocolate Chip Zucchini Cupcakes

This weekend was my White Crystal Beach family and friends graduation party for me. My mother already had food planned out, but we couldn't figure out what to made as dessert. It just so happened that my mom picked up a 5 lb zucchini from the beach last weekend so I wanted to made zucchini bread! We went to Maple Hoff 2 to pick up some sweets and we were talking about what to make with the zucchini and the lady at the counter told us about chocolate chip zucchini cookies. I wasn't really sure about cookies... but I'd love to make chocolate chip zucchini cupcakes. 

Chocolate Chip Zucchini Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Icing



Cupcakes (Makes 1 dozen)
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup chocolate chips
2 zucchinis, shred (about 2 cups)
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/3 cup oil
Cream Cheese Icing

First off, can you just look at the SIZE of this zucchini? I am amazed that I only have a little bit left after making two batches of this recipe!! 



Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. The first thing I did was cut it to manageable sizes and cut the skin off. If you want to use a peeler, be my guest, but it's easier to just run a knife down the sides.


Cut out the center seeds. I used the knife to get it out, but you can use a spoon. 


At this point you can either cut the zucchini in cubes and put it in the food processor like I did, or use the pieces like seen above and use a grater to cut it up. It would of taken me forever to grate that amount of zucchini, so I cheated. :)


Place zucchini, eggs, and oil in a large mixing bowl. 


Mix dry ingredients in another large mixing bowl.


Incorporate the chocolate chips.


 Slowly add dry ingredients to wet ingredients while mixing until completely incorporated.




Line pan with cupcake cups. Fill cups 7/8 of the way up.


Place cupcakes in oven and bake for about 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the cakes comes out clean.


Now, I'll show you a quick and cheap trip to icing your cupcakes... Take a regular sandwich bag and line it in a cup. Fill the bag with icing.


 Pull the bag out and twist the top together.


Without squeezing the bag, cut the tips off of a corner.


Create your own way to decorate the cupcake. I swirl. :)


Everyone at the graduation party loved them. They were moist and tasty and comforting. It was a wonderful idea for the party.

Enjoy xo

No comments:

Post a Comment