August 22, 2011

Tie Dye Cake

Alright, people! I know this is wayyyyyyyyyyyy late but I finally have the time and productivity to finally blog about my tie dye cake that I made for the WCB Luau. I’ve seen this recipe before (http://www.omnomicon.com/rainbowcake) and I couldn’t wait to find the best time to make it. And what better time than a colorful Luau party on the beach?

Tie Dye Cake


-          Cake Mix (white or yellow)
-          Oil (or apple sauce), Eggs,  Water 
-          Food dye (4+ colors)
-          Toothpicks
-          Bowls
-          Icing (vanilla or cream cheese)
-          Cake pan
-          Pam or shortening
-          4 color mixing bowls with 4 spoons

I can’t think of anything else but the pictures should be informative enough. I hope… One quick note would be that I substitute equal parts oil for apple sauce. Also, I made my own homemade cream cheese icning.. I'm not gonna go into detail on what it involves because that's not the point of this post so if you want to make you're own go here - http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/cream-cheese-frosting-ii-2/detail.aspx

I used two 8in round pans for my cake. I figured I would just stack them instead of trying to fit the batter in a rectangular pan and the tie dye pattern might not turn out right. I hope that makes sense. So anyway, I took the 2 8in pans and sprayed them with pam. I love pam... it makes my life so much easier and I dont have to worry about spreading NASTY shortening.




I then started to mix the cake batter. 


After the batter is mixed, I laid out my separate color mixing bowls.


I divided the batter up evenly into the four bowl and added the food coloring until the colors looked right. 


Look at these beautiful colors...


I started pouring - LITTLE BY LITTLE - the colored batter into the round pans. It is important to pour the next color right in the center of the previous color. It will not mix, and will spread out evenly.


Like this...


Until you see multiple colors like this... 


Next step: take your tooth pic and pull your colors around. I made a flower looking design. Don't pull the colors around too much because you will loose the colorful aspect and start making giant brown spots. 


The other cake looked like this... Before


Bake the cake as desired on box instructions. Easy, right? 


Now for the set up... Place the cake you want to be on bottom on the serving dish and generously layer the top of the round cake with icing. This will hold the cakes together.


Place the top round cake on top of the icing. 


Take the rest of the icing and separate it into four mixing bowls.


Add the food dye until you get the colors you desire.


Start experimenting and just throw the colors on the cake. That's what I did. Just make some blobs of color. 


Then when your cover the top and sides of the cake, take the back of your spoons and just lightly pull the colors together. Again, don't do this too much or it WILL turn brown.

My finished cake...


I'd like to say it was a hit, but I kinda just cut it up, placed it on the dessert table, and danced the night away in the rain with some of my favorite friends and family. You'd think having a dance outside in the rain would be crappy... but it was so refreshing and fun! Everyone came and told me the cake was awesome and really cool looking and that was all I needed to hear. I didn't make it for the taste, and Better Crocker is not one to mess with ;)... 

In all honesty, I had no time to head to the store and get ingredients for a home made cake. I had just came home Thursday from not being home all week and was leaving for the beach Friday afternoon and still needed to pack. It was going to take forever to decorate it, so I just made the cake and decorated it at the beach Saturday, a few hours before the dance.

Sorry most of this post is a lot of pictures and one liners. I really have nothing more to say and the pictures explained it all. Sorry this is so late. 

Enjoy! xo

1 comment:

  1. OK... So the picture of all the icing with the different colors in the wooden bowls totally reminded me of the scene from Hook when Peter starts to imagine the food with the Lost Boys.

    ReplyDelete